Timeline of photography technology
From Academic Kids
- 1825 - Nicéphore Niépce takes the first permanent photograph, an image of a boy leading a horse.
- 1835 - William Fox Talbot produces early permanent photographs through his own calotype process.
- 1839 - Louis Daguerre patents the daguerreotype.
- 1840 - William Fox Talbot invented the positive / negative process of photography used in all modern photography. He refers to this as photogenic drawing.
- 1851 - Introduction of the collodion process by Frederick Scott Archer
- 1871 - The gelatin emulsion is invented by Richard Maddox
- 1878 - Eadweard Muybridge made high-speed time lapse photographic demonstration of a horse airborne during the gallop using a trip-wire system.
- 1887 - Celluloid film introduced.
- 1888 - Kodak n°1 box camera is mass marketed; first easy-to-use camera.
- 1891 - Thomas Edison patents the "kinetoscopic camera" (motion pictures)
- 1895 - Auguste and Louis Lumiere - Invented the cinématographe
- 1898 - Kodak introduced their Folding Pocket Kodak
- 1900 - Kodak introduced their first Brownie.
- 1901 - Kodak introduced the 120 film.
- 1902 - Arthur Korn devises practical phototelegraphy technology (reduction of photographic images to data bits which can transmitted by wire to other locations); Wire-Photos in wide use in Europe by 1910, and transmitted intercontinentally by 1922.
- 1907 - The Autochrome Lumière is the first color photography process marketed.
- 1912 - Vest Pocket Kodak using 127 film.
- 1913 - Kinemacolor, the first commercial "natural color" system for movies is invented.
- 1914 - Kodak introduced the Autographic system.
- 1923 - Doc Harold Edgerton invents xenon flash lamp and strobe photography
- 1925 - The Leica introduced the 35mm format to still photography.
- 1934 - The 135 film cartridge was introduced, making 35mm easy to use.
- 1936 - Development of Kodachrome multi-layered color film.
- 1948 - The Hasselblad camera was introduced.
- 1948 - Edwin H. Land introduces the first Polaroid instant image camera.
- 1957 - First Asahi Pentax SLR introduced.
- 1959 - Nikon F introduced.
- 1959 - Agfa introduces the first fully automatic camera, the Optima.
- 1963 - Kodak introduces the Instamatic
- 1965 - First Pentax Spotmatic SLR introduced.
- 1973 - Fairchild Semiconductor releases the first large image forming CCD chip; 100 rows and 100 columns.
- News story on Ananonva about auction of earliest photograph (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_497301.html)
- More about the earliest photograph (http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Article.go?id=3161&category_id=2)
- In the eye of the camera (http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/keys/webtours/VQ_P1_1_EN.html) — Illustrated historical essay about early photographyde:Geschichte und Entwicklung der Fotografie