From Academic Kids
1836 1837 1838 - 1839 - 1840 1841 1842
| Decades: |
1800s 1810s 1820s - 1830s - 1840s 1850s 1860s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
1839 was a common year starting on Tuesday (see link for calendar).
- January 9 - The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- January 19 - British East India Company captures Aden
- January 20 - In the Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats a Peruvian and Bolivian alliance.
- February 24 - William Otis receives a patent for the steam shovel.
- March 23 - First recorded use of "OK" oll korrect (Boston Morning Post).
- March 26 - The first Henley Royal Regatta is held
- April 19 - The Treaty of London establishes Belgium as a kingdom.
- June 22 – Louis Daguerre receives patent for his camera (commercially available by September with the prize of 400 Francs)
- July 1 – Slave rebellion of Amistad
- August 19 – French government gives Louis Daguerre a pension and gives the daguerreotype "for the whole world"
- November 11 - The Virginia Military Institute is founded in Lexington, Virginia.
- November 17 - Giuseppe Verdi's first opera, Oberto, conte di San Bonifacio opens in Milan.
- November 27 - In Boston, Massachusetts, the American Statistical Association is founded
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Mahmud II (1808-1839) to Abd-ul-Mejid (1839-1861)
- In the United States, the first state law permitting women to own property is passed in Jackson, Mississippi.
- The first parallax measurement of the distance to Alpha Centauri is published by Thomas Henderson.
- Excavation on Copan begins
- Half of the Limburg province of Belgium was added to the Netherlands, since 1839 there is a Belgian Limburg and Dutch Limburg.
- Abd al-Kader declares a jihad against the French.
- January 19 - Paul Cézanne, French painter (d. 1906)
- February 11 - Josiah Willard Gibbs American physicist and chemist (d. 1903)
- February 22 - Francis Pharcellus Church, American editor and publisher (d. 1906)
- March 21 - Modest Mussorgsky, Russian composer (d. 1881)
- April 12 - Nicholas Michailovitch Prjevalsky, Russian explorer (d. 1888)
- July 8 - John Davison Rockefeller, American industrialist and philanthropist (d. 1937)
- December 5 - George Armstrong Custer, American cavalry officer (d. 1876)
- April 1 - Benjamin Pierce, U.S. politician (b. 1757)
- April 2 - Hezekiah Niles, American editor and publisher (b. 1777)
- April 11 - John Galt, Scottish novelist (b. 1779)
- May 17 - Archibald Alison, Scottish author (b. 1757)
- August 10 - John St Aubyn, British fossil collector (b. 1758)
- August 22 - Benjamin Lundy, American abolitionist (b. 1789)
- August 28 - William Smith, English geologist and cartographer (b. 1769)
- November 15 - William Murdoch, Scottish inventor (b. 1754)af:1839
ast:1839 bg:1839 ca:1839 cs:1839 cy:1839 da:1839 de:1839 et:1839 el:1839 es:1839 eo:1839 eu:1839 fr:1839 fy:1839 gl:1839 ko:1839년 hr:1839 io:1839 id:1839 is:1839 it:1839 he:1839 csb:1839 la:1839 lt:1839 lb:1839 li:1839 hu:1839 nl:1839 nb:1839 nn:1839 os:1839 pl:1839 pt:1839 ro:1839 ru:1839 sq:1839 sk:1839 sl:1839 sr:1839 fi:1839 sv:1839 tt:1839 tr:1839 uk:1839 zh:1839年