Timeline of clothing and textiles technology
From Academic Kids
- pre-history - spindle used to create yarn from fibres
- (unknown) - loom
- 500 to 1000 AD - spinning wheel in use in India
- 1733 - John Kay patents the Flying Shuttle
- 1738 - Lewis Paul patents the draw roller
- 1764 - James Hargreaves or Thomas Highs invents the Spinning Jenny (patented 1770)
- 1769 - Richard Arkwright's Water Frame.
- 1779 - Samuel Crompton invents the Spinning Mule.
- 1784 - Edmund Cartwright invents the power loom.
- 1794 - Eli Whitney patents the cotton gin
- 1801 - Joseph Marie Jacquard invents the Jacquard punched card loom
- 1816 - Francis Cabot Lowell builds the first power loom in America.
- 1856 - William Perkin invents the first synthetic dye
- 1892 - Cross, Bevan & Beadle invent Viscose
- 1953 - First commercial Polyester fibre production by DuPont
- 1963 - Open-end spinning developed in Czechoslovakia