From Academic Kids
1847 1848 1849 - 1850 - 1851 1852 1853
| Decades: |
1820s 1830s 1840s - 1850s - 1860s 1870s 1880s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
1850 was a common year starting on Tuesday (see link for calendar).
- January 4 - The first American ice-skating club is formed (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania).
- January 29 - Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S. Congress
- February 28 - University of Utah opens in Salt Lake City, Utah
- March 7 - United States Senator Daniel Webster gives his "Seventh of March" speech in which he endorses the Compromise of 1850 in order to prevent a possible civil war.
- March 18 - American Express is founded by Henry Wells & William Fargo.
- April 4 - Los Angeles, California is incorporated as a city.
- July 9 - President Zachary Taylor dies while in office and Millard Fillmore becomes the 13th President of the United States (he is inaugurated the next day).
- August 28 - Richard Wagner's opera Lohengrin premieres
- September 9 - California is admitted as the 31st U.S. state.
- September 9 - New Mexico Territory is organized by order of the U.S. Congress
- December 16 - The first four ships arrived at Lyttelton to settle Christchurch, New Zealand.
- December - Christian mystic Hong Xiuquan begins the Taiping Rebellion.
- End of the Irish potato famine
- The United States Republican Party is founded
- Foundation of the University of Sydney, the oldest in Australia
- The American System of Watch Manufacturing starts in Roxbury, Mass.U.S.A. Waltham Watch Company
- Bingley Hall, the world's first purpose- built exhibition hall, opens in Birmingham, England.
- Pinkerton Detective Agency
- France begins to transport colonists to Algeria
- Modern acoustic guitar created in Spain
- Use of anesthesia in surgery increases in USA and Europe
- Rifling becomes common in firearms
- Entre Ríos Province in Argentina revolts - it is backed by Brazil in alliance with Paraguay and the Uruguayan Colorado Party
- Harriet Tubman becomes an official conductor of the Underground Railroad
- January 21 - Paul Vinzenz Busch, ringmaster (d. 1927)
- January 27 - Samuel Gompers, English-born labor leader (d. 1924)
- January 27 - Edward J. Smith, Captain of the Titanic (d. 1912)
- May 1 - Prince Arthur of the United Kingdom (d. 1942)
- May 8 - Ross Barnes, baseball player (d. 1915)
- May 12 - Henry Cabot Lodge, U.S. statesman (d. 1924)
- May 21 - Giuseppe Mercalli, Italian volcanologist (d. 1914)
- July 12 - Otto Schoetensack, German anthropologist (d. 1912)
- September 2 - Albert Spalding, baseball player and sporting goods manufacturer (d. 1915)
- November 13 - Robert Louis Stevenson, Scottish writer (d. 1894)
- December 9th - Emma Abbott, American opera singer (d. 1891)
- December 21 - Zdenek Fibich, Czech composer (d. 1900)
- March 3 - Oliver Cowdery, American religious leader (b. 1806)
- March 31 - John C. Calhoun, United States politician (b. 1782)
- April 23 - William Wordsworth, English poet (b. 1770)
- July 4 - William Kirby, English entomologist (b. 1759)
- July 8 - Prince Adolphus of the United Kingdom, 1st Duke of Cambridge (b. 1774)
- July 9 - Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the United States (b. 1784)
- August 18 - Honoré de Balzac, French author (b. 1799)
- August 26 - King Louis-Philippe of France (b. 1773)
- October 2 - Sarah Biffen, English painter (b. 1784)
- November 19 - Richard Mentor Johnson, Vice President of the United States (b. 1780)
- December 24 - Frédéric Bastiat French author and economist (b. 1801)af:1850
ast:1850 bg:1850 be:1850 ca:1850 cs:1850 cy:1850 da:1850 de:1850 et:1850 el:1850 es:1850 eo:1850 eu:1850 fr:1850 fy:1850 gl:1850 ko:1850년 hr:1850 io:1850 id:1850 is:1850 it:1850 he:1850 csb:1850 la:1850 lt:1850 lb:1850 hu:1850 mi:1850 nl:1850 nb:1850 nn:1850 os:1850 pl:1850 pt:1850 ro:1850 ru:1850 sq:1850 simple:1850 sk:1850 sl:1850 sr:1850 fi:1850 sv:1850 tt:1850 tr:1850 uk:1850 wa:1850 zh:1850年