From Academic Kids

Egersund is a coastal town in the municipality of Eigersund in the county of Rogaland, Norway. The municipality has 13,388 (2004) inhabitants, of whom 9,489 (2004) live in the town. The town has an area of 6.0 km².

Egersund has one of the best natural harbours in Norway, and is the largest harbour when measured in quantity of fish brought in each year. Several internationally known companies has their origin here, like Simrad (earlier Robertson autopilots) and C-Map (producer of electronic sea-maps). Most of the industry is related to the sea and to boats.



People have lived around the district of Egersund since the stone ages. Several places one can find ruins of settlements dating back to the age of migrations in Norway (400–600 BC). The name "Egersund" derives from the Norse name for the strait between Eigerøy and the mainland, which was called Eikundarsund. The name of Eigerøy (Norse: Eikund) comes from the rich deposits of oak trees (Eik = Norwegian for oak). The name is among the oldest placenames in Norway. It can be found in the form Eikundarsund already in the saga of Olav the Holy, written by Islandic author Snorri Sturlasson in the 1200s. From around year 1000 Olav the Holy's fleet was here often. We can also find the name in texts and scaldic poems from Olavs saga.

There used to be a church here, Church of St. Mary, mentioned in 1292 in a privilege of indulgence issued in Rome on February 5 1292 by Pope Nicholas IV as Ecclesia beatæ Mariæ de Eikundarsund. It was the first church in Eikundarsund, and was the parish church of Maria parish. It is believed to have been standing in the same place which the church of Egersund is standing today.

There was also a chappel, the chappel of St. Laurenti, mentioned in a letter issued on February 5 of 1308 as Ecclesia beati Laurentii de Eikundarsund, where Pope Clement V gives king Håkon V Magnusson extensive privileges concerning the kings 14 chappels (including the chappel of St. Laurenti), which was founded by himself or his father king Magnus Lagabøte and his grandfather king Håkon Håkonson. Since these chappels often were built on King's estates it is presumed to have been on grounds owned by Husabø estate. An old tradition says it's been at what is now Strandgata 43, but the excact position is somewhat uncertain.

In 1623 the old church (probably the Church of St. Mary) was demolished and, and a new church was erected. This is the same church still standing today, built in wood.

The township of Egersund is counted from the July 18 1798, when it was approved to have it's own Customs office.

The town fire in 1843 burned down two thirds of the buildings downtown. After this a major redesign of the streets was issued.

In 1847 the A/S Egersunds Fayancefabriks Co. was founded by Johan Feyer. The factory was the cornerpiece of the municipality until it was shut down in 1979. Its products are collectors items today, and many are worth hundreds of dollars.

July 7 1859 there was a new town fire.

October 20 1862 there was yet another town fire. It was to be the last since they finally understood how precious houses made of wood are and constructed extra wide streets to prevent new fires from spreading.

In 1878 the railway between Egersund and Stavanger was opened.

In 1905 Egersund is the first town in the county of Rogaland to get electrical lighting.

April 9 1940, Egersund was amongst the first towns and cities in Norway occupied by the Germans during World War 2. Egersund was important to the Germans because of its god harbour and the telegraph line between Norway and England which was situated here. The Germans built up large camps in the area, and several important events happened in the vicinity.


  • The is a ferry connection between Egersund and Hanstholm (Denmark).
  • Egersund has good connections by road. To Stavanger and Kristiansand, via European route E39. There is also a more scenic costal highway number 44.
  • Train connections northwards to Stavanger, and southwards to Kristiansand.


  • Central
    • Damsgård
    • Havsøyne
    • Husabø
    • Lervige
    • Mosbekk
    • Sandbakken
    • Årstad
    • Årstaddalen
  • Eigerøy
  • Hestnes
  • Lagård
  • Rundevoll
  • Slettebø
  • Tengs

Points of interest

  • Dalane Folkemuseum: Museum of antiquities and history of Egersund.
  • Egersund Fayancemuseum: Museum of the glazed earthenware and porcellain made by Egersund Fayancefabrik from 1847 till 1979.
  • «Stoplesteinan»: A rather unknown attraction, since it has not been embraced by the local tourist bureau. «Stoplesteinan» is a «Stonehenge» (England) only smaller, i.e. a stone circle. It is more than a thousand years old, some believe it to be almost 2000 years old. Who built it and why, is unknown. The stone cirle is situated directly above Skårabrekkå just outside downtown Egersund.
  • Central Egersund: Egersund has some of the best preserved wood buildings in Norway. They are built in late Empire style, and most of the buildings are protected by law.

Known people from Egersund



Academic Kids Menu

  • Art and Cultures
    • Art (
    • Architecture (
    • Cultures (
    • Music (
    • Musical Instruments (
  • Biographies (
  • Clipart (
  • Geography (
    • Countries of the World (
    • Maps (
    • Flags (
    • Continents (
  • History (
    • Ancient Civilizations (
    • Industrial Revolution (
    • Middle Ages (
    • Prehistory (
    • Renaissance (
    • Timelines (
    • United States (
    • Wars (
    • World History (
  • Human Body (
  • Mathematics (
  • Reference (
  • Science (
    • Animals (
    • Aviation (
    • Dinosaurs (
    • Earth (
    • Inventions (
    • Physical Science (
    • Plants (
    • Scientists (
  • Social Studies (
    • Anthropology (
    • Economics (
    • Government (
    • Religion (
    • Holidays (
  • Space and Astronomy
    • Solar System (
    • Planets (
  • Sports (
  • Timelines (
  • Weather (
  • US States (


  • Home Page (
  • Contact Us (

  • Clip Art (
Personal tools