Timeline of transportation technology
From Academic Kids
- 3500 BC - Wheeled carts are invented
- 3500 BC - River boats are invented
- 2000 BC - Horses are tamed and used for transport
- 770 - Iron horseshoes come into common use
- 1492 - Leonardo da Vinci describes a flying machine
- 1662 - Blaise Pascal invents a horse-drawn public bus which has a regular route, schedule, and fare system
- 1740 - Jacques de Vaucanson demonstrates his clockwork powered carriage
- 1769 Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot's demonstrates his "steam wagon", arguably the first functional automobile
- 1783 - Joseph Montgolfier and Étienne Montgolfier launch the first hot air balloons
- 1804 - Richard Trevithick builds a prototype steam powered railroad locomotive. Oliver Evans demonstrates a steam powered amphibious vehicle.
- 1807 - Isaac de Rivas makes a hydrogen gas powered vehicle
- 1814 - George Stephenson builds the first practical steam powered railroad locomotive
- 1816 - The most likely originator of the bicycle is German Baron Karl von Drais, who rode his 1816 machine while collecting taxes from his tenants.
- 1853 - Sir George Cayley builds and demonstrates the first heavier-than-air aircraft (a glider)
- 1862 - Jean Lenoir makes a gasoline-engine automobile
- 1868 - George Westinghouse invents the compressed Air brake (rail) for railway trains.
- 1900 - Ferdinand von Zeppelin builds the first successful airship
- 1903 - Orville Wright and Wilbur Wright fly the first motor-driven airplane
- 1903 - small Diesel engine tested in a canal Boat by Rudolph Diesel, Adrian Bochet and Frederic Dyckhoff
- 1908 - Henry Ford develops the assembly line method of automobile manufacturing
- 1911 - Selandia launched, the first oceangoing, diesel engine driven ship
- 1926 - Robert Goddard launches the first liquid-fueled rocket
- 1942 - V2 rocket covers a distance of 200 km
- 1947 - First supersonic flight
- 1957 - Sputnik 1, the first man-made satellite to be launched into orbit
- 1961 - Vostok 1, the first manned space mission, made 2 orbits around the earth.
- 1969 - First manned mission to the Moon
- 1981 - First flight of the space shuttle