Timeline of the September 11, 2001 attacks
From Academic Kids
(Redirected from Timeline of the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack)
September 11, 2001 attacks timeline
- 1972: One World Trade Center completed.
- 1973: Two World Trade Center completed.
- 1989: Osama bin Laden founds Al-Qaida.
- 1993: World Trade Center bombing
- 1995: Operation Bojinka is discovered by Manila police on a laptop computer in an apartment after a fire.
- 1996: The Taliban, a radical Islamic movement, takes control of Afghanistan.
- 1998: The 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania occur.
- 1999: Indian Airlines Flight 814 hijacked. One passenger dies while the others are released.
- 2000: The USS Cole is bombed in Yemen
- 1992 - Mohammed Atta arrives in Germany
- 1994 - Planning on Operation Bojinka begins in the Philippines
- 1995 - Operation Bojinka foiled, Said Bahaji and Ramzi Binalshibh arrive in Germany
- 1996 - Marwan al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah arrive in Germany
- 1997 - Zakariyah Essabar arrives in Germany
- 1998 - Recruitment of terrorists in Germany starts
- 1999 - Hamburg cell is fully formed
- 2000 - 2000 al-Qaeda Summit in Malaysia, "pilots" head to the United States and train in flying schools
- 2001 - Rest of the hijackers go to the United States, Zacarias Moussaoui comes to the United States and is arrested, other cell members flee Germany
- 8:46 AM: American Airlines flight 11 crashes into the World Trade Center north tower
- 9:02 AM: United Airlines flight 175 crashes into the World Trade Center south tower.
- 9:37 AM: American Airlines flight 77 crashes into The Pentagon.
- 9:59 AM: South Tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- 10:03 AM: United Airlines flight 93 crashes in Pennsylvania.
- 10:28 AM: North Tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- September 13: The 'Star-Spangled Banner' is played during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Russia observes a minute's silence. See Memorials and services.
- September 20: George W. Bush announces that the USA is at war. See US governmental response.
- September 14 to September 21: Worldwide stock markets plummet. See World economic effects.
- September 15: CIA director George Tenet presents the Worldwide Attack Matrix.
- October 1: Rudy Giuliani speaks to the United Nations General Assembly
- October 7: U.S. Attack on Afghanistan commences
- November 2001: Uniformed Firefighters Association holds a demonstration against the reduction in firefighters allocated to The Pile.
- March 2002: The Tribute in Light project begins.
- September 2002: First anniversary of the September 11, 2001 Attacks are held throughout the world, particularly the USA.
- "Complete 911 Timeline" (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/project.jsp?project=911_project) - Provided by the Center for Cooperative Research.
- "Oh Lucy! - You Gotta Lotta 'Splainin To Do" (http://fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/02_11_02_lucy.html)
- "White House whitewashers (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/27/spin/index.html)" (written 27th Sept 2001)
- "Attacks prompt widespread closings (http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/attack.closings/)" (written 11th Sept 2001)
- Barter, Sheila, "How the World Trade Center fell (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1540044.stm)". [ BBC ]