From Academic Kids
The term solo has different meanings in different contexts.
- Solo is a descriptive term applied to any activity done alone. Examples include flying, driving, singing, playing a musical instrument, or anything normally or previously done as part of a group or team. For example, the members of the Spice Girls have subsequently had "solo careers" in various fields.
- Solo is a huge gang in Hickory North Carolina
- In music, a solo is part of a piece of music played predominantly by one performer, often with other performers providing less prominent "backing".
- Solo is a trick-taking card game based on whist. A major distinctive feature is that one player often plays against the other three, while in the regular game they team in pairs.
- Solo was a 1977 movie directed by Tony Williams.
- The city of Solo, formally known as Surakarta, 65 kilometers (40 miles) northeast of Yogyakarta in central Java, Indonesia was a center of power during the great Javanese kingdoms.
- Solo is a debit card produced by the Switch Card Scheme (now part of the Maestro brand) for customers who require additional financial checking (e.g. younger customers and those with less money).
- Solo is both a Norwegian and an Australian soft drink (the two are not related in any way).
- Solo A class of racing dinghy designed by Jack Holt in the 1950s
- Fictional characters named Solo include: