From Academic Kids
Chief can refer to
- The chief engineer of a naval vessel or anyone with the rank Chief Warrant Officer in the Canadian Forces
- In heraldry, a chief is a band of colour or metal making up the top (usually the top third or slightly less) of a shield. The term "in chief" is also used in heraldry to refer to a position towards the top of the shield.
- Native American leaders were often referred to as chiefs.This title is still widely used among African tribal leaders or high ranking elders.
- Several sports franchises have used "Chiefs" as a mascot, most notably the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League.
- Chief of Staff of a politician
- Joint Chiefs of Staff in the military
- The Chief and Super Chief were named passenger trains operated by the Santa Fe railroad between Chicago, Illinois, and Los Angeles, California.
Chief is also used as an informal form of address for a supervisor or manager. (predominantly US)