From Academic Kids
The word category (plural categories; from Greek κατηγορια meaning "assertion" or "accusation", hence "categorical denial") has several meanings:
- it is used informally to mean a class of things, as in "the category of all living things". See categorization.
- in philosophy:
- in information technology, a category is a container for the names of things.
- in mathematics:
- a category is a collection of mathematical objects of the same kind, together with the structure-preserving processes between them; as in "the category of all topological spaces and continuous maps". These are studied in category theory.
- in topology, one distinguishes between sets of first and second category.
- The game, Categories
- on Wikipedia: see Wikipedia:Categorization for more about WP categories.