From Academic Kids
1911 is a common year starting on Sunday (click on link for calendar).
1908 1909 1910 - 1911 (MCMXI) - 1912 1913 1914
| Decades: |
1880s 1890s 1900s - 1910s - 1920s 1930s 1940s
| Centuries: |
19th century - 20th century - 21st century
- January 1 - Northern Territory is separated from South Australia
- January 3 - In London, in what becomes known as the Siege of Sidney Street, the Metropolitan Police and the Scots Guards engage in a shootout with a criminal gang of Latvian anarchists held up in a building in the East End.
- January 10 - Major Jimmie Erickson takes the first aerial photograph (over San Diego, California).
- January 18 - Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco harbor, marking the first time an aircraft landed on a ship
- January 21 - First Monte Carlo races
- January 26 - Glenn H. Curtiss flies the first successful seaplane.
- January 30 - The destroyer USS Terry makes the first airplane rescue at sea saving the life of James McCurdy 10 miles from Havana, Cuba.
- March 1 - Jose Ordonez is elected President of Uruguay.
- March 8 - International Women's Day is celebrated for the first time
- March 24 - Denmark abolishes death penalty and flogging
- March 25 - Fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in New York City - 145 dead
- May 15 - The United States Supreme Court declares Standard Oil to be an "unreasonable" monopoly under the Sherman Antitrust Act and orders the company to be dissolved.
- May 23 - Dedication ceremony for the New York Public Library.
- May 30 - The first Indianapolis 500-mile auto race is run. The winner is Ray Harroun in the Marmon 'Wasp',
- June 14 - A national seamen's strike begins in Britain.
- June 15 - IBM incorporated as Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company in New York
- June 16 - A 772 gram stony meteorite struck earth in Columbia County, Wisconsin near the village of Kilbourn damaging a barn.
- June 22- Coronation of George V of the United Kingdom and Mary of Teck at Westminster Abbey, London.
- July 1 - German Warship Panther in the Moroccan port of Agadir triggers Agadir Crisis escalating pre-WW1 tensions. Subsequent climbdown rallies German militancy.
- July 24 - Hiram Bingham finds Machu Picchu
- August 8 - Public Law 62-5 sets the number of representatives in the United States House of Representatives at 435. The law will take effect in 1913.
- August 14 - Birth of Shri Vethathiri Maharishi, one of the great thinkers of the 21st century.
- August 22 - Theft of Mona Lisa discovered in Louvre (Vincenzo Peruggia is captured and the painting returned 1913)
- September 7 - French poet Guillaume Apollinaire is arrested and put in jail on suspicion of stealing the Mona Lisa from the Louvre museum. He is later released.
- September 11 - Middle Tennessee State University is founded in Murfreesboro, Tennessee as Middle Tennessee Normal School.
- September 20 - Liner Olympic collides with a cruiser HMS Haske with minimal damage
- September 29 - French navy ship Liberte explodes anchored in Toulon
- October 6 - The British Seafarers' Union was formed in Southampton in England.
- October 10 - Wuchang Uprising which led to the founding of the Republic of China.
- October 10 - Robert Laird Borden becomes Canada's eighth prime minister.
- October 28 - Foundation of The Rosicrucian Fellowship's international headquarters and Healing Temple, till today, at Mount Ecclesia, Oceanside (California); It had been preceded by its formal constitution in August 8 1909 at Seattle (Washington).
- November 3 - Chevrolet officially enters the automobile market to compete with the Ford Model T.
- November 4 - Selandia launched in Denmark, the first ocean going diesel Ship.
- November 5 - After declaring war on Turkey on September 29, 1911, Italy annexes Tripoli and Cyrenaica (this act was confirmed by an act of the Italian Parliament on February 25, 1912).
- November 11 - A record cold snap hits the United States midwest. Many cities break record highs and lows on same day. (see The 11/11/11 cold wave).
- November 15 - Prince Louis Honoré Charles Antoine Grimaldi of Monaco, heir to the throne and later Reigning Prince Louis II of Monaco officially recognizes his illegitimate daughter Charlotte Louise Juliette Louvet as Princess Charlotte of Monaco.
- November 16 - Earthquake in Swab, South Germany
- December 11 - Coronation in New Delhi of George V of the United Kingdom and Mary of Teck as Emperor of India and Empress consort respectively
- December 14 - Roald Amundsen's expedition reaches the South Pole
- December 21 - First robbery of the Bonnot gang
- December 29 - Sun Yat-sen becomes the first President of the Republic of China
- First Solvay Congress - meeting of physicists
- University of Iceland founded
- University of Wales, Bangor moved to new buildings.
- 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica published.
- End of Qing Dynasty in China.
- Rutherford deduces the existence of a compact atomic nucleus from scattering experiments.
- Onnes discovers superconductivity.
- January 1 - Hank Greenberg, American baseball player (d. 1986)
- January 3 - John Sturges, American film director (d. 1982)
- January 5 - Jean-Pierre Aumont, French actor (d. 2001)
- January 7 - Butterfly McQueen, American actress (d. 1995)
- January 22 - Bruno Kreisky, Chancellor of Austria (d. 1990)
- January 24 - C. L. Moore, American science fiction and fantasy writer (d. 1987)
- January 29 - Peter von Siemens, German industrialist (d. 1986)
- January 30 - Roy Eldridge, American jazz musician (d. 1989)
- February 6 - Ronald Reagan, United States President 1981-1989, broadcaster, actor (d. 2004)
- February 8 - Elizabeth Bishop, American poet, Pulitzer Prize winner (d. 1979)
- February 11 - Alec Cairncross, chancellor of the University of Glasgow
- February 12 - Stephen H. Sholes, American recording executive (d. 1968)
- February 19 - Merle Oberon, British actress (d. 1979)
- March 3 - Jean Harlow, American actress (d. 1937)
- March 8 - Alan Hovhaness, American composer (d. 2000)
- March 13 - L. Ron Hubbard, American author (d. 1986)
- March 16 - Josef Mengele, Nazi Germany war criminal (d. 1979)
- March 18 - Big Joe Turner, American blues singer (d. 1985)
- March 24 - Joseph Barbera, American cartoonist
- March 25 - Jack Ruby, killer of Lee Harvey Oswald (d. 1967)
- March 26 - Tennessee Williams, American playwright (d. 1983)
- March 29 - Brigitte Horney, actress (d. 1988)
- March 31 - Elisabeth Grümmer, Alsatian soprano (d. 1986)
- April 5 - Jussi Björling, Swedish tenor (d. 1960)
- April 8 - Emil Cioran, Romanian philosopher and essayist (d. 1995)
- April 11 - Stanislawa Walasiewicz, Polish-American sprinter (d. 1980)
- April 26 - Marianne Hoppe, German actress (d. 2002)
- May 8 - Robert Johnson, American blues guitarist and singer (d. 1938)
- May 11 - Phil Silvers, American actor and comedian (d. 1985)
- May 15 - Max Frisch, Swiss author (d. 1991)
- May 17 - Maureen O'Sullivan, Irish actress (d. 1998)
- May 18 - Big Joe Turner, American blues singer (d. 1985)
- May 20 - May 20 - Gardner Fox, American writer (d. 1986)
- May 26 - Ben Alexander, American actor (d. 1969)
- May 27 - Hubert H. Humphrey, U.S. Vice President and Senator (d. 1978)
- May 28 - Fritz Hochwälder, Austrian author (d. 1986)
- June 24 - Juan Manuel Fangio, Argentine race car driver (d. 1995)
- June 26 - Babe Didrikson Zaharias, American athlete and golfer (d. 1956)
- July 4 - Mitch Miller, American singer and television personality
- July 9 - Mervyn Peake, British writer and illustrator (d. 1968)
- July 16 - Ginger Rogers, American actress (d. 1995)
- July 18 - Hume Cronyn, Canadian actor (d. 2003)
- June 29 - Bernard Herrmann, American composer (d. 1975)
- June 30 - Czesław Miłosz, Polish poet, Nobel Prize in Literature (d. 2004)
- July 21 - Marshall McLuhan , Canadian author (d. 1980)
- July 27 - Lupita Tovar, actress
- August 17 - Mikhail Botvinnik, Soviet chess player (d. 1995)
- August 23 - Betty Robinson, American athelete (d. 1999)
- August 27 - Kay Walsh, British actress (d. 2005)
- September 2 - Floyd Council, American blues musician (d. 1976)
- September 6 - Harry Danning, Major League Baseball player (d. 2004)
- September 9 - John Gorton, nineteenth Prime Minister of Australia (d. 2002)
- September 19 - William Golding, English writer (d. 1993)
- September 23 - Frank Moss, U.S. Senator from Utah (d. 2003)
- October 13 - Ashok Kumar, Indian actor (d. 2001)
- October 14 - Le Duc Tho, Nobel Peace Prize recipient (d. 1990)
- October 30 - Ruth Hussey, American actress (d. 2005)
- November 2 - Odysseas Elytis, Greek writer (d. 1996)
- November 5 - Roy Rogers, American singer and actor (d. 1998)
- November 27 - David Merrick, Broadway producer (d. 2000)
- December 3 - Nino Rota, Italian composer (d. 1979)
- December 11 - Naguib Mahfouz, Nobel Prize-winning Egyptian novelist
- December 13 - Kenneth Patchen, American poet and painter (d. 1972)
- February 11 - Albert von Rothschild, Austrian baron and banker.
- March 1 - Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff, Dutch chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1852)
- May 18 - Gustav Mahler, Austrian composer (b. 1860)
- May 21 - Williamina Fleming, Scottish astronomer (b. 1857)
- May 29 - William S. Gilbert, English dramatist (b. 1836)
- June 9 - Carrie Nation, American temperance activist (b. 1846)
- August 1 - Edwin Austin Abbey, American painter (b. 1852)
- September 16 - Edward Whymper, British explorer (b. 1840)
- October 14 - John Marshall Harlan, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (b. 1833)
- October 29 - Joseph Pulitzer, Hungarian-born newspaper publisher and journalist (b. 1847)
- December 10 - Joseph Dalton Hooker, English botanist (b. 1817)
- Physics - Wilhelm Wien
- Chemistry - Maria Skłodowska-Curie
- Medicine - Allvar Gullstrand
- Literature - Count Maurice (Mooris) Polidore Marie Bernhard Maeterlinck
- Peace - Tobias Michael Carel Asser Alfred Hermann Fried
ast:1911 bg:1911 be:1911 ca:1911 cs:1911 cy:1911 da:1911 de:1911 et:1911 el:1911 es:1911 eo:1911 eu:1911 fr:1911 fy:1911 gl:1911 ko:1911년 hr:1911 io:1911 id:1911 is:1911 it:1911 he:1911 csb:1911 la:1911 lt:1911 lb:1911 hu:1911 nl:1911 ja:1911年 nb:1911 nn:1911 os:1911 pl:1911 pt:1911 ro:1911 ru:1911 se:1911 sq:1911 scn:1911 simple:1911 sk:1911 sl:1911 sr:1911 fi:1911 sv:1911 tt:1911 tr:1911 uk:1911 wa:1911 zh:1911年