From Academic Kids
1902 1903 1904 - 1905 - 1906 1907 1908
| Decades: |
1870s 1880s 1890s - 1900s - 1910s 1920s 1930s
| Centuries: |
19th century - 20th century - 21st century
1905 was a common year starting on Sunday (see link for calendar).
- January 2 - Russo-Japanese War: The Russian Army surrenders at Port Arthur, China; an event which shocked the world.
- January 22 - Massacre of Russian demonstrators at the Winter Palace in Saint Petersburg, one of the triggers of the abortive Russian Revolution of 1905.
- January 26 - The Cullinan Diamond is found near Pretoria, South Africa at the Premier Mine.
- February 23 - Foundation of Rotary International
- March 1 - Australian Conservative leader Richard Butler takes office as Premier of South Australia
- March 3 - Tsar Nicholas II of Russia agrees to create an elected assembly (the Duma).
- March 5 - Russian troops begin to retreat from Mukden, Manchuria after losing 100,000 troops in 3 days.
- March 10 Japanese capture of Mukden (now Shenyang) completes rout of Russian armies in Manchuria.
- March 10 ? Cassie Chadwick sentenced for 14 years in Cleveland for fraud
- March 17 - Albert Einstein publishes his paper "On a heuristic viewpoint concerning the production and transformation of light" in which he explains the photoelectric effect using the notion of light quanta
- March 31 German emperor William II asserts German equality with France in Morocco, triggering the Tangier (or First Moroccan) Crisis.
- April 4 - In India, an earthquake near Kangra, kills 20,000.
- April - Albert Einstein works on the special theory of relativity as well as the theory of Brownian motion
- May 11 - Albert Einstein submits his doctoral dissertation "On the Motion of Small Particles..." where he explains the Brownian motion
- May 13 - Mata Hari debuts in Paris
- May 15 - Las Vegas, Nevada is founded when 110 acres (0.4 km²), in what later would become downtown, are auctioned off.
- May 27-28 - Russo-Japanese War: Battle of Tsushima - The Japanese fleet under Admiral Heihachiro Togo destroys Russian fleet under Admiral Zinovi Petrovich Rozhdestvenski in this two day battle
- June 7 - The Norwegian Parliament declares the union with Sweden dissolved, thus Norway achieves its indepence.
- June 14 ? Mutiny in the Russian ironclad Potemkin
- June 15 - Princess Margaret of Connaught marries Gustav, Crown Prince of Sweden.
- June 30 - Albert Einstein publishes the article "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" where he discovers special relativity
- July 6 - Alfred Deakin becomes Prime Minister of Australia for the second time.
- August 13 - Norway holds referendum in favour of dissolving the union with Sweden.
- September 1 - The Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta are established from the southwestern part of the Northwest Territories.
- September 5 - Russo-Japanese War: Treaty of Portsmouth signed - In New Hampshire a treaty mediated by US President Theodore Roosevelt, is signed by victor Japan and defeated party Russia. In the agreement, Russia cedes the island of Sakhalin and port and rail rights in Manchuria to Japan.
- October 3 - HMS Dreadnought is laid down, revolutionizing battleship design and triggering a naval arms race.
- October 26 - Sweden agreed to the repeal of the union with Norway.
- October 30 - Tsar Nicholas II is forced to grant Russia's first constitution, conceding a national assembly (Duma) with limited powers.
- 70 Onion Johnnies die when the steamer Hilda sinks off France.
- November 9 - The Province of Alberta, Canada holds its 1st General Election.
- November 18 - Prince Carl of Denmark becomes King Haakon VII of Norway.
- November 28 - Irish nationalist Arthur Griffith founds Sinn Féin in Dublin as a political party whose goal was the independence for all of Ireland.
- December 30 - Bomb kills Frank Steunenberg, ex-governor of Idaho. Case leads to a trial against leaders of the Western Federation of Miners
- Einstein publishes four papers. In particular, he formulates the theory of special relativity and explains the photoelectric effect by quantization. 1905 is regarded as his "miracle year".
- The Butcharts begin working on their Japanese Garden addition to their Butchart Gardens.
- The title Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is officially recognized by King Edward VII.
- Pathé Frères colors black and white films by machine.
- Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer banned from Brooklyn Public Library for "bad example"
- Druidic rituals begin in Stonehenge
- Albert Einhorn introduces novocaine
- The first U-boat
- The Ancient Egyptian Order of Sciots is formed.
- January 2 - Michael Tippett, English composer (d. 1998)
- January 3 - Anna May Wong, American actress (d. 1961)
- January 12 - Tex Ritter, American actor and singer (d. 1974)
- January 18 - Joseph Bonanno, American gangster (d. 2002)
- January 21 - Christian Dior, French couturier (d. 1957)
- January 26 - Charles Lane, American actor
- January 29 - Barnett Newman, American painter (d. 1970)
- January 31 - John O'Hara, American writer (d. 1970)
- February 2 - Ayn Rand, American author (d. 1982)
- February 7 - Paul Nizan, French author (d. 1940)
- February 11 - Elizabeth Vuyk, Dutch-Indonesian writer (d. 1991)
- February 14 - Thelma Ritter, American actress (d. 1969)
- February 15 - Harold Arlen, American composer of popular music (d. 1986)
- February 23 - Derrick Henry Lehmer, American mathematician (d. 1991)
- February 27 - Franchot Tone, American actor (d. 1968)
- March 5 - Günther Lüders, actor and film director (d. 1975)
- March 6 - Bob Wills, American country music singer (d. 1975)
- March 15 - Berthold Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg, German lawyer and Nazi opponent (d. 1944)
- March 16 - Elisabeth Flickenschildt, German actress (d. 1977)
- March 18 - Thomas Townsend Brown, American scientist (d. 1985)
- March 19 - Albert Speer, Nazi official (d. 1981)
- March 23 - Lale Andersen, German singer (d. 1972)
- March 27 - Elsie MacGill, Canadian aeronautical engineer (d. 1980)
- April 21 - Edmund G. Brown American politician, Govenor of California (d. 1996)
- May 3 - Sebastian Shaw, English actor (d. 1994)
- May 8 - Red Nichols, American jazz musician (d. 1965)
- May 15 - Joseph Cotten, American actor (d. 1994)
- May 16 - Henry Fonda, American actor (d. 1982)
- May 20 - Gerrit Achterberg, Dutch poet
- June 12 - Ray Barbuti, American athlete (d. 1975)
- July 4 - Irving Johnson, American sail training pioneer (d. 1991)
- July 12 - Edward Bernds, American director (d. 2000)
- July 15 - Dorothy Fields, American songwriter (d. 1988)
- July 22 - Doc Cramer, Major League Baseball player (d. 1990)
- July 25 - Elias Canetti, Bulgarian writer (d. 1994)
- July 29 - Dag Hammarskjöld, Swedish United Nations Secretary-General (d. 1961)
- August 2 - Karl Amadeus Hartmann, German composer (d. 1963)
- August 3 - Franz König, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Vienna (d. 2004)
- August 8 - André Jolivet, French composer (d. 1974)
- August 11 - Erwin Chargaff, Austrian biochemist (d. 2002)
- August 16 - Marian Rejewski, Polish mathematician and cryptologist (d. 1980)
- August 20 - Jean Gebser, author, linguist and poet (d. 1973)
- August 21 - Friz Freleng, American animator (d. 1995)
- August 23 - Constant Lambert, British composer (d. 1951)
- August 31 - Dore Schary, American film writer, director, and producer (d. 1980)
- September 1 - Elvera Sanchez, Puerto Rican dancer (d.2000)
- September 18 - Eddie Anderson, American actor (d. 1977)
- September 22 - Eugen Sänger, Austrian aerospace engineer (d. 1964)
- September 30 - Savitri Devi, Greek author and ideologist (d. 1982)
- October 5 - Helen Wills Moody, American tennis player (d. 1998)
- November 7 - William Alwyn, English composer (d. 1985)
- November 9 - Erika Mann, oldest daughter of Thomas Mann (d. 1969)
- November 15 - Mantovani, Italian-born conductor and arranger (d. 1980)
- November 17 - Queen Astrid of Belgium (d. 1935)
- November 26 - Bob Johnson, Major League Baseball player (d. 1982)
- December 24 - Howard Hughes, American film maker, industrialist, aircraft designer, and airline founder (d. 1976)
- December 27 - Leonard Goldenson, American TV executive (d. 1999)
- December 30 - Jule Styne, English-born composer (d. 1994)
- January 14 - Ernst Abbe, German physicist (b. 1840)
- January 19 - Debendranath Tagore, Indian philosopher (b. 1817)
- February 4 - Louis-Ernest Barrias, French sculptor (b. 1841)
- March 6 - John Henninger Reagan, American Confederate politician (b. 1818)
- March 24 - Jules Verne, French author (b. 1828)
- May 9 - Mrs. Jarvis, model for Mother's Day
- June 22 - Francis Lubbock, Governor of Texas (b. 1815)
- July 8 - Walter Kittredge, American musician and composer (b. 1834)
- September 18 - George MacDonald, Scottish author and poet, Christian minister (b. 1824)
- October 13 - Henry Irving, English actor (b. 1838)
- October 29 - Étienne Desmarteau, Canadian athlete (b. 1873)
- Muhammad Abduh, Egyptian philosopher and jurist (b. 1849)
- Chemistry - Johann Friedrich Wilhelm Adolf von Baeyer
- Medicine - Robert Koch
- Literature - Henryk Sienkiewicz
- Peace - Baroness Bertha Sophie Felicita Von Suttneraf:1905
ast:1905 bg:1905 be:1905 ca:1905 cs:1905 cy:1905 da:1905 de:1905 et:1905 el:1905 es:1905 eo:1905 eu:1905 fr:1905 fy:1905 gl:1905 ko:1905년 hr:1905 io:1905 id:1905 is:1905 it:1905 he:1905 csb:1905 la:1905 lt:1905 lb:1905 hu:1905 mr:इ.स. १९०५ nl:1905 ja:1905年 nb:1905 nn:1905 os:1905 pl:1905 pt:1905 ro:1905 ru:1905 se:1905 sq:1905 scn:1905 sk:1905 sl:1905 sr:1905 fi:1905 sv:1905 tt:1905 tr:1905 uk:1905 wa:1905 zh:1905年