From Academic Kids
1819 1820 1821 - 1822 - 1823 1824 1825
| Decades: |
1790s 1800s 1810s - 1820s - 1830s 1840s 1850s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
1822 was a common year starting on Tuesday (see link for calendar).
- March 30 - Florida becomes a United States territory.
- May 24 - Battle of Pichincha: Simón Bolívar secures the independence of Quito.
- June 14 - Charles Babbage proposes a Difference engine in a paper to the Royal Astronomical Society entitled "Note on the application of machinery to the computation of astronomical and mathematical tables." (http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Babbage.html)
- July 8 - Chippewas turn over huge tract of land in Ontario to the United Kingdom.
- July 28 - Independence Day in Peru
- September 7 - Brazil declares its independence from Portugal
- September 16 - George Canning appointed British foreign secretary.
- October 12 - Peter I of Brazil declared constitutional emperor of the Brazilian Empire
- August 12 - St David's College, now the University of Wales, Lampeter founded by Bishop Thomas Burgess
- October-December - Congress of Verona at which Russia, Austria and Prussia approve French intervention in Spain
- December 1 - Peter I is crowned as Emperor of Brazil.
- Hieroglyphs deciphered by Thomas Young and Jean-François Champollion using the Rosetta Stone.
- Galileo Galilei's Dialogue taken off the Index librorum prohibitorum, the Roman Catholic Church's list of banned books.
- Ashley's Hundred leave from St. Louis setting off a major increase in fur trade.
- An earthquake in Chile raises the coastal area, adding 100.000 square miles (260,000 km²) of new land
- Coffee ban in Sweden abolished
- Greeks rebel against Ottoman Empire
- Britain repeals death penalty for over 100 crimes
- First group of freed slaves from USA arrive to modern-day Liberia and found Monrovia
- Fire in Oulu, Finland
- January 2 - Rudolf Clausius, German physicist, contributions to thermodynamics (d. 1888)
- January 4 - Georg Büchmann, philologist (d. 1884)
- January 6 - Heinrich Schliemann, German archaeologist (d. 1890)
- January 28 - Alexander Mackenzie, second Prime Minister of Canada (d. 1892)
- February 16 - Sir Francis Galton, English explorer and biologist (d. 1911)
- April 3 - Edward Everett Hale, American writer, (d. 1909)
- May 26 - Edmond de Goncourt, French writer (d. 1896)
- June 10 - John Jacob Astor III, American businessman (d. 1890)
- July 18 - Princess Augusta of Cambridge (d. 1916)
- July 22 - Gregor Mendel, Austrian geneticist (d. 1884)
- December 10 - César Franck, Belgian composer and organist (d. 1890)
- December 24 - Matthew Arnold, English poet (d. 1888)
- December 27 - Louis Pasteur, French microbiologist and chemist (d. 1895)
- Charles A. Alexander, English architect
- January 15 - John Aikin, English physician and writer (b. 1747)
- January 24 - Ali Pasha, Albanian ruler (b. 1741)
- June 25 - E.T.A. Hoffman, German writer, composer, and painter (b. 1776)
- July 7 - Percy Bysshe Shelley, English poet (b. 1792)
- August 12 - Robert Stewart, Viscount Castlereagh, British foreign secretary (suicide) (b. 1769)
- August 25 - William Herschel, German-born astronomer (b. 1738)af:1822
ast:1822 bg:1822 be:1822 ca:1822 cs:1822 cy:1822 da:1822 de:1822 et:1822 el:1822 es:1822 eo:1822 eu:1822 fr:1822 fy:1822 gl:1822 ko:1822년 hr:1822 io:1822 id:1822 is:1822 it:1822 he:1822 csb:1822 lt:1822 lb:1822 hu:1822 nl:1822 nb:1822 nn:1822 os:1822 pl:1822 pt:1822 ro:1822 ru:1822 sq:1822 simple:1822 sk:1822 sl:1822 sr:1822 fi:1822 sv:1822 tt:1822 tr:1822 uk:1822 zh:1822年