From Academic Kids
1805 1806 1807 - 1808 - 1809 1810 1811
| Decades: |
1770s 1780s 1790s - 1800s - 1810s 1820s 1830s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
1808 was a leap year starting on Friday (see link for calendar).
- January 1 - Importation of slaves into the United States is banned
- February 11 - Anthracite coal first burned as fuel, experimentally.
- February - Russia issues an ultimatum to Sweden, to join France, Denmark and Russia and attacks Finland.
- March 26 - Charles IV of Spain abdicates in favor of his son, Ferdinand VII
- April 6 - John Jacob Astor incorporates the American Fur Company.
- May 2 - Peninsular War: The people of Madrid uprise against the French troops.
- May 3:
- November - Swedish troops evacuate Finland. Tsar Alexander I of Russia proclaims Finland a part of Russia.
- November - James Madison defeats Charles C. Pinckney in U.S. presidential election
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Mustafa IV (1807-1808) to Mahmud II (1808-1839)
- December - Napoleon invades Spain
- December 9 - At 20:34 UTC Mercury occulted Saturn. It was the pre-last occultation of a planet by an other planet until now. There are no observation records.
- January 19 - Lysander Spooner, American philospher (d. 1887)
- January 27 - David Strauss, German theologian (d. 1874)
- February 5 - Carl Spitzweg, German painter (d. 1885)
- February 26 - Honoré Daumier, French painter, illustrator, and sculptor (d. 1879)
- May 22 - Gérard de Nerval, French writer (d. 1855)
- June 3 - Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States (d. 1889)
- June 17 - Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian author (d. 1845)
- June 20 - Samson Raphael Hirsch, German rabbi (d. 1888)
- July 9 - Alexander William Doniphan, American lawyer and military leader (d. 1887)
- October 6 - King Frederick VII of Denmark (d. 1863)
- October 20 - Karl Andree, German geographer (d. 1875)
- November 1 - John Taylor, American religious leader (d. 1887)
- November 2 - Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly, French writer (d. 1889)
- December 29 - Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the United States (d. 1875)
- March 13 - King Christian VII of Denmark (b. 1749)
- May 18 - Elijah Craig, American minister and inventor
- September 17 - Benjamin Bourne, American politician (b. 1755)af:1808
ast:1808 bg:1808 be:1808 ca:1808 cs:1808 cy:1808 da:1808 de:1808 et:1808 el:1808 es:1808 eo:1808 eu:1808 fr:1808 fy:1808 gl:1808 ko:1808년 hr:1808 io:1808 id:1808 is:1808 it:1808 he:1808 csb:1808 lb:1808 hu:1808 mi:1808 nl:1808 nb:1808 nn:1808 os:1808 pl:1808 pt:1808 ro:1808 ru:1808 sk:1808 sl:1808 sr:1808 fi:1808 sv:1808 tt:1808 tr:1808 uk:1808 wa:1808 zh:1808年