From Academic Kids
1799 1800 1801 - 1802 - 1803 1804 1805
| Decades: |
1770s 1780s 1790s - 1800s - 1810s 1820s 1830s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
1802 was a common year starting on Friday (see link for calendar).
- March 16 - West Point is established.
- March 25/27 - Treaty of Amiens between France and United Kingdom ends the War of the Second Coalition.
- March 28 - H. W. Olbers discovers the asteroid Pallas.
- May 19 - Napoleon Bonaparte establishes the French légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour).
- July 4 - At West Point, New York the United States Military Academy opens.
- August 2 - In a plebiscite Napoleon Bonaparte is confirmed as consul for life.
- September 11 - The Italian region of Piedmont becomes a part of Napoleonic France.
- October 2 - War ends between Sweden and Tripoli. The United States also negotiates peace, but war continues over the size of compensation.
- July - Eleuthère Irénée du Pont founds E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, the modern DuPont Company.
- October - French army enters Switzerland.
- Marie Tussaud opens her famous wax museum in London, having been commissioned during the Reign of Terror to make death masks of the victims.
- Buffon uses the term biology for the first time
- Thomas Wedgwood produces the world's first photograph, but has no means of fixing the image, which quickly fades.
- William Symington builds the first successful steamship, the Charlotte Dundas.
- Ludwig van Beethoven performs the Moonlight Sonata for the first time.
- William Wordsworth publishes the poem "Westminster Bridge."
- The estimated world population reaches 1 billion people.
- February 11 - Lydia Child, American abolitionist author (d. 1880)
- February 19 - Wilhelm Matthias Näff, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1881)
- February 26 - Victor Hugo, French author (d. 1885)
- April 4 - Dorothea Dix, American social activist (d. 1887)
- July 24 - Alexandre Dumas, père, French author (d. 1870)
- July 26 - Mariano Arista, President of Mexico (d. 1855)
- August 5 - Niels Henrik Abel, Norwegian mathematician (d. 1829)
- August 22 - Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard, American land speculator (d. 1886)
- November 9 - Elijah P. Lovejoy, American abolitionist (d. 1837)
- December 15 - Janos Bolyai, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1860)
- December 23 - Sara Coleridge, British scholar (d. 1852)
- April 18 - Erasmus Darwin, English physician and botanist, grand-father of Charles Darwin (b. 1731)
- June 4 - Charles Emmanuel IV of Savoy, King of Sardinia (b. 1751)
- September 26 - Baron Jurij Vega, Slovenian mathematician, physicist, and soldier (b. 1754)
- November 9 - Thomas Girtin, English artist (b. 1775)
- November 15 - George Romney, English artist (b. 1734)
- November 16 - André Michaux, French botanist (b. 1746)
- July 22 - Marie François Xavier Bichat, French anatomist and physiologist (b. 1771)
- May 29 - Christian martyr Nannus of Smyrna
- May 28 - Christian martyr Zachariah of Prusaaf:1802
ast:1802 bg:1802 be:1802 ca:1802 cs:1802 cy:1802 da:1802 de:1802 et:1802 el:1802 es:1802 eo:1802 eu:1802 fr:1802 ko:1802년 hr:1802 io:1802 id:1802 is:1802 it:1802 he:1802 csb:1802 lb:1802 hu:1802 nl:1802 nb:1802 nn:1802 os:1802 pl:1802 pt:1802 ro:1802 ru:1802 sk:1802 sl:1802 sr:1802 fi:1802 sv:1802 tt:1802 tr:1802 uk:1802 wa:1802 zh:1802年