From Academic Kids
1784 1785 1786 - 1787 - 1788 1789 1790
| Decades: |
1750s 1760s 1770s - 1780s - 1790s 1800s 1810s
| Centuries: |
17th century - 18th century - 19th century
1787 was a common year starting on Monday (see link for calendar).
- In Britain, Thomas Clarkson and Granville Sharpthe "Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade" with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.
- January 11 - William Herschel discovers Titania and Oberon, two moons of Uranus.
- February 4 - Shays' Rebellion fails
- May 13 - Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth, England with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.
- May 14 - In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, delegates begin to meet to write a new Constitution for the United States.
- May 25 - In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, delegates begin to convene a Constitutional Convention intended to amend the Articles of Confederation. However, a new Constitution for the United States was eventually produced. George Washington presided over the Convention.
- June 6 - Franklin College, named for Benjamin Franklin, opens in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It later merges with Marshall College to become Franklin and Marshall College.
- July 13 - The U.S. Congress enacts the Northwest Ordinance establishing governing rules for the Northwest Territory. It also establishes procedures for the admission of new states and limits the expansion of slavery.
- August 27 - Launching a forty-five-foot craft on the Delaware River, John Fitch demonstrates the first US patent for his design.
- September 17 - United States Constitution adopted
- December 7 - Delaware ratifies the Constitution and becomes the first U.S. state.
- December 12 - Pennsylvania becomes the second U.S. state.
- December 18 - New Jersey becomes the third U.S. state.
- January 6 - Gaspard Théodore Ignace de la Fontaine, Luxembourg politician.
- March 16 - Georg Ohm, German physicist (b. 1854)
- April 26 - Ludwig Uhland, German poet (d. 1862)
- December 10 - Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, American educator (d. 1851)
- Vuk Stefanovic-Karadzic, serbian linguistic
- June 20 - Karl Friedrich Abel, German composer (b. 1723)
- November 3 - Robert Lowth, English bishop (b. 1710)
- November 15 - Christoph Willibald Gluck, German composer (b. 1714)af:1787
ast:1787 bg:1787 bs:1787 ca:1787 cs:1787 cy:1787 da:1787 de:1787 et:1787 el:1787 es:1787 eo:1787 eu:1787 fr:1787 ko:1787년 hr:1787 io:1787 id:1787 is:1787 it:1787 he:1787 lb:1787 hu:1787 nl:1787 nb:1787 nn:1787 os:1787 pl:1787 pt:1787 ro:1787 ru:1787 simple:1787 sk:1787 sl:1787 sr:1787 fi:1787 sv:1787 tt:1787 tr:1787 uk:1787 wa:1787 zh:1787年