From Academic Kids
1680 1681 1682 - 1683 - 1684 1685 1686
| Decades: |
1650s 1660s 1670s - 1680s - 1690s 1700s 1710s
| Centuries: |
16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- June 6 - The Ashmolean Museum opens as the world's first university museum.
- June 12 - The Rye House Plot to assassinate Charles II of England is discovered
- September 7 - Polish-German troops arrive in Vienna to help the besieged
- November 1 - The British crown colony of New York is subdivided into 12 counties
- Thames River is frozen
- Dragonards organized to harass huguenots in France
- Wild boars are hunted to extinction in Britain
- A huge 140,000-man Ottoman force arrives at Vienna in June and starts to besiege the city. The siege is broken in September 12 with the arrival of a force of 30,000 Polish, Austrians and Germans under Polish-Lithuanian king John III, whose cavalry turns their flank. Considered to be the turning point in the Ottoman Empire's fortunes.
- Fall of Kingdom of Tungning, Qing occupied Taiwan and unified China.
- February 28 - René Antoine Ferchault de Réaumur, FRench scientist (d. 1757)
- March 1 - Caroline of Ansbach, queen of George II of Great Britain (d. 1737)
- September 25 - Jean-Philippe Rameau, French composer (d. 1764)
- November 10 - King George II of Great Britain (d. 1760)
- December 19 - King Philip V of Spain (d. 1746)
ast:1683 bg:1683 be:1683 ca:1683 cs:1683 cy:1683 da:1683 de:1683 et:1683 el:1683 es:1683 eo:1683 eu:1683 fr:1683 ko:1683년 hr:1683 io:1683 is:1683 it:1683 he:1683 la:1683 lb:1683 hu:1683 nl:1683 nb:1683 nn:1683 os:1683 pl:1683 pt:1683 ro:1683 ru:1683 sk:1683 sl:1683 sr:1683 fi:1683 sv:1683 tt:1683 tr:1683 uk:1683 zh:1683年